Sunday, May 10, 2015



Photo:Pinterest


It's well after midnight, and I'm not asleep,
Outside my window the stars twinkle and wink

Lifting my head, I speak into the night, 
But my sister's asleep, her eyes closed tight

So I climb from my bed and trip on the mess on the floor,
Dash the rest of the way and slip out the door

Once in the barnyard, I glance up at the moon,
Hanging low, illuminating the gloom

Smiling now, I increase my speed,
Enjoying my secret, be it a common enough deed

Now through the barn, now through the field,
and up on the hill, a concrete water tower is revealed

The view from up there is the best one around,
The white mountain, the valley; in the distance, a town

Settling down, I gaze up at the sky,
Wondering whether to laugh or to cry

Instead, I pray to the God who is the giver of all good things,
Of deep roots and butterfly wings

So many people need a church to feel close,
They need the words and the songs to keep them afloat

Or someone to tell them, "You're doing it right!"
To hold their hand when bright days turn to night

But I have been given a different way,
I see his love in creation every day

The creatures of dirt, and the ones of sky,
These are the things he shows his love by

I won't forget and neither should you
If you just look at a tree or the sky oh-so blue.

In the meantime, it's well after midnight and I'm still not asleep.


4 comments:

  1. I like this. Love the reprise of the line at the end. I also love that I can imagine every place that you run through well after midnight. ;-)

    Reminded me a lot of Luke 19:37-40: 'As he was drawing near—already on the way down the Mount of Olives—the whole multitude of his disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen, saying, “Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!” And some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples.” He answered, “I tell you, if these were silent, the very stones would cry out.”'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :)
    I know, that makes it all the better. XD

    Yeah, that passage has resounded with me quite a number of times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog. Because I can read your writing. *laughs evilly because now we BOTH CAN KNOW EACH OTHER'S SECRETS* ifyoucancallthemsecrets... XD

    But this is lovely. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw yiss. The secrets are out. *high five*

    Thanks Cally. *hearts* XD

    ReplyDelete